Federal Government Announcement for Small Businesses
What does it mean for my business?
In response to the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Government is supporting small businesses to retain their apprentices and trainees.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Eligible employers can apply for a wage subsidy of 50 per cent of the apprentice’s or trainee’s wage for 9 months from 1 January 2020 to 30 September 2020
- The subsidy will be available to small businesses employing fewer than 20 employees who retain an apprentice or trainee
- Employers of any size and Group Training Organisations that re-engage an out-of-trade apprentice or trainee may be eligible for the subsidy
- The apprentice or trainee must have been in-training with a small business as at 1 March 2020
- Where a small business is not able to retain an apprentice, the subsidy will be available to a new employer
- Employers will be able to access the subsidy after an eligibility assessment is undertaken by an Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider
- Employers can register for the subsidy from 2 April 2020
- Final claims for payment must be lodged by 31 December 2020