Cook up a storm or serve up your way to success!
Hospitality is one of the biggest industries in Australia, with people working in restaurants, hotels, resorts, clubs and casinos. The Food and Beverage sector is the third largest employing industry in Australia with over 800,000 workers.
By starting a hospitality apprenticeship or traineeship you’ll be involved in:
- Preparing, serving and selling alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages as well as coffees, lattes and other drinks.
- Cleaning and maintaining bar areas.
- Washing, cleaning and arranging glasses, plates and bottles.
- Advising and serving customers food.
- Collecting payment from customers.
- Cooking, preparing and serving hot meals in kitchens.
- Monitoring quality control.
- Explaining and enforcing hygiene rules.
- Planning and assisting with the ordering of supplies and menu items.
Skills you will need:
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to time manage
- Ability to multi-task
- A good customer service orientation
- Ability to work well in a team
Career options available:
Caterer: People who organise and control food operation services. This includes work in restaurants, cafes, hospitals, functions and organising events. Jobs may also include serving clients, consulting and preparing food and menu options, organising and setting tables.
Cooks or Chefs: People who prepare food in restaurants, cafes, hotels, clubs, function centres, ships and planes. Chefs and cooks are involved in total food operations from food safety and quality, preparation and dietary needs planning, cooking using a variety of techniques and constructing menus.
Pastry Chefs: Chefs who specialise in preparing, baking and decorating bread, cakes and other pastries for weddings, functions, cafes and shops.
Waiter: People who are “On the floor” staff and assist with: advising menu items to customers, serving food and drink items, attending to customer queries as well as making and clearing tables.
Potential entry level qualifications:
- Cert III in Hospitality
- Cert IV in Hospitality
- Diploma of Hospitality
- Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
- Certificate III in Patisserie
- Certificate IV in Patisserie
- Certificate III in Catering Operations
Certificate IV in Catering Operations
Looking to start your career in Hospitality?
Apprenticeships and traineeships are a great way to kick-start your career. You get paid on-the-job training, whilst also completing a nationally recognised qualification.