Build your way to career success!
Bricklaying is another booming industry in Australia. Bricklayers are involved in commercial, residential and public projects where they lay bricks and other building blocks in mortar to construct and repair walls.
By starting a bricklaying apprenticeship you’ll be involved in:
- Analysing plans and specifications to ensure you have the right materials for the project.
- Measuring required dimensions.
- Building and deconstructing high scaffolding.
- Laying bricks in rows for the construction of walls and other structures.
- Repairing and maintaining bricks and cement blocks.
- Checking and measuring alignment of bricks.
- Designing shapes and spreading mortar between joints.
Skills you will need:
- Attention to detail
- Ability to read and comprehend plans
- Ability to multi-task
- An eye for design
- Team work orientation
- A safety first approach
Career options available:
Bricklayer: People who pre-cut stones, lay bricks and other construction blocks in mortar to build walls, foundations and other structures.
Stonemason: People who cut, shape , design stone blocks and slabs for the construction and renovation of stone-based structures, monuments or cemeteries.
Potential entry level qualifications:
- Certificate II in Construction Pathways
Certificate III in Bricklaying/Block laying, Certificate III in Stonemason
Looking to start your career in Bricklaying?
Apprenticeships and traineeships are a great way to kick-start your career. You get paid on-the-job training, whilst also completing a nationally recognised qualification.