What is a mechanic apprenticeship?
A Mechanic apprenticeship is a four year apprenticeship program that consists of on the job training with a host employer, as well as off the job training which is undertaken with a Registered Training Organisation such as TAFE.
What are some of the jobs I’ll work on in a mechanic apprenticeship?
Some of the key tasks you’ll typically undertake as a mechanical apprentice will include:
- Examining motor engines and their pairs
- Diagnosing potential faults in engines and their parts
- Repairing and replacing worn and damaged parts, referring to manuals as required
- Using technical equipment including computer software to test the function of engines and their parts
- Performing scheduled maintenance on vehicles including oil changes, engine tune ups and more to ensure they run smoothly
- Testing and fixing faults with electrical systems in vehicles such as lights, ignition and more
What sort of skills should I have to undertake a mechanic apprenticeship?
Ideally, you should have the following skills and attributes:
- Ability to read and analyse manuals and technical information
- Problem solving skills
- Strong communication skills
- Troubleshooting skills
- Well organised and patient
- Ability to work well with your hands
- Ability to work well with tools
What’s the next step?
Does this sound like the career path for you? Apply now and kick start your Mechanic Apprenticeship today!